Cherry Bomb Baby

I live in a pile of bricks with a fire puter-outer, a Halloween enthusiast and a pretend lemur, who sometimes admits to being my second son. I have a kitchen for flowers. I know all the lyrics to the Spiderman theme song and (am forced to) sing it everyday. I cook with color. This was a blog mostly about yarn spinning and natural dyeing. Now, it is fair to say, it lacks direction entirely.

Saturday, March 05, 2011

Lets talk F.O.s

This was a recent F.O. for my mother-in-law's birthday. Her birthday is conveniently located 2 months after Christmas and so this year I didn't feel the need to crunch in a pair of holiday socks when I can make birthday socks that are still season appropriate.

These were economically done with Patons Kroy sock yarn. I generally avoid superwash yarns but something came over me in the store when I decided to make 4 pairs of socks this winter. I had just pushed my way through a very large monochromatic pair of socks on size 0 needles when I saw this cheap and exciting 3 ply with so many colors and still with a self striping scheme. I bought 6 balls and made 3 more pairs of socks. The self striping pattern turns out to be rather wishy washy, a subtle color change which I got tired of. My favorite part of the sock was where I ran out of yarn on the first ball and had to join in the new one. Now there is the color change I was looking for.

I followed my usual go to sock pattern: Cat Bordhi's "Simple Sock in Three Sizes" from Socks Soar on Two Circular Needles. I always knit my socks on two circulars. I knit these on my size 3 addi turbos. They are a little big on my foot but hopefully fit the recipient who wears about a size larger shoe than I do.


There are no pattern modifications except to the toe. I always do a rounded toe with evenly spaced decreases down to the end rather than decrease along the two edges of the sock and then grafting the last 8 stitches. I never do that part very prettily and why would you kitchener stitch when you don't need to?


Here they are wrapped back up in the yarn wrapper, washing instructions included. I did think folks might like a washable sock, not that I mind hand washing hand knit socks. Doesn't it look like I might have bought them at REI?

I am starting to feel overwhelmed by all the projects out there that I want to make (darn you ravelry!) and so I might try to focus on what I've actually been able to complete this year. There is only so much time but I am actually able to get a good amount of simple knitting done. I feel like I should step back and look at what I have been able to do and not just the pile of U.F.O.s awaiting me. So be on the lookout for more posts where I pat myself on the back and show you the things I've recently finished!

2 Comments:

Blogger Nicola said...

Gorgeous socks! Way nicer than anything you can buy at REI.

4:21 PM  
Anonymous Ελλάδα said...

Socks that look like shoes? I didnt get it until I saw them on and they do look pretty cute.

10:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home