Cherry Bomb Baby

I live in a pile of bricks with a fire puter-outer, a Halloween enthusiast and a pretend lemur, who sometimes admits to being my second son. I have a kitchen for flowers. I know all the lyrics to the Spiderman theme song and (am forced to) sing it everyday. I cook with color. This was a blog mostly about yarn spinning and natural dyeing. Now, it is fair to say, it lacks direction entirely.

Sunday, January 18, 2009

More spinning and tiny bit of knitting

Some indigo dyed romney top that was dipped once:

As a spun single:



Its now been plied and needs the twist to be set and dried. For a belated Christmas gift I gave my mom a handspun hat. Could it be simpler? I don't think so but its so cute. I think hats are the true destiny of this roving. Its so lovely, more of Rita's white merino blended with silver alpaca. I made both a knit and felt scarf from this and tried spinning it finer on a spindle but it was a little prickly on the neck as a scarf and as a finer yarn the coarser fiber of the alpaca stood out more. So, I've gone with a softly spun, slightly thick and thin single. I knit it on size 8 needles but it definitely could have knit it more loosely.

I loved this hat so much I wanted one for myself so here I am trying it out as a beenie. I've got it almost finished at this point but I'm not sure about the shaping of the beenie on my head...I might have to go back to the start with this one.



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home