Cherry Bomb Baby

I live in a pile of bricks with a fire puter-outer, a Halloween enthusiast and a pretend lemur, who sometimes admits to being my second son. I have a kitchen for flowers. I know all the lyrics to the Spiderman theme song and (am forced to) sing it everyday. I cook with color. This was a blog mostly about yarn spinning and natural dyeing. Now, it is fair to say, it lacks direction entirely.

Sunday, June 08, 2008

Minneapolis!

We went for 10 days to my sweet hometown. I needed 10 days before hand to breathe into a paper bag as I got ready for a red eye plane trip with a 1 year old and 4 year old. Then 10 days on the other side of that to lie in the child's pose on my yoga mat to recover from the plane ride back. And lets say that is why you have not heard from me. Thank goodness they had a some wooly goodness for me in the midwest!

I scored this at the Fiber Studio in Minneapolis. This place is heaven, especially if you are into art yarns or felting. There is a heavy felting vibe there. Like my new turkish spindle?! Yum! I've been craving a turkish spindle for a LONG time now and I've been holding out for a special hand turned wood spindle for a while. It wasn't exactly from the wool festival I'd been planning to buy it from, (I was hoping to make it to BSG this year) but it was a cool souvenir and I got to support a new little fiber business. I've spun and plied happily on it now and I'm getting the feel for this low whorl thing slowly.


Now, see what happens when I try to take pictures? I get a lot of help. Here is an itty bitty batt that I spun up quickly into a 2 ply, heavy worsted weight yarn. Enough for a little baby hat I think. This was a hand blended, drum carded batt of merino, also from The Fiber Studio.

Some irresistable wool that I got to pick over, its 3/4 romney and 1/4 merino. Its got about a 4-5 inch staple length on average and a crisp handle. I can't believe that I am such a romney slut now. I never would have thought it of myself. And doesn't my thumb look kind of like a grown up lady's thumb here? There is a nail that isn't half chewed off-that is so great! See how the wool calms me?


I thought about blogging a lot this last month. In fact, I did lots of thinking about it. I also did lots of spinning, a bit of knitting and took a few pictures. I'm really going to have to make a contract with my blog about not starting so many new projects. I hoped having a blog would help with that. I'm trying to hold myself down to finishing one project at a time now before beginning something new. This means, finishing one sewing, knitting, spinning or felting project before moving onto another unfinished project in the same category.










0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home