Bits and Whole
My harf yarn is done. Whether or not it will become a harf remains to be seen. The skeins relate somewhat but still I have reservations. Some blue spots of roving looked like this:
Just a little bit of blue and even just predrafting makes the colors really diffuse and as it spins it marls and gets muddier. Yay! Muddy!
Other spots looked like this:
And not much can be done unless I really picked apart the roving and re blended bits of it, etc. I did take out the longest stretches of BRIGHT color and saved them for other rainy fiber days. When the section of color is so much longer than the staple length there is not much you can do to tone it down, its just going to be blue blue blue and not earthy at all like the rest of the roving. See:
So, there are some bright spots and lots of earthy spots. One distinctly pumpkiny skein and two dominant in greens and some fun eye popping bits scattered throughout. I found myself only wanting to partially control the colors in this random roving. I didn't want to pick out all the bright spots or do lots of blending. I just wanted to pretty much randomly spin it and have a fairly homogenous yarn with a few exciting, weird color moments. I should have really spun a three ply to tone the colors down a little more and then had a nice round bouncy yarn.
I'm going to knit a gague swatch and see the fabric knitted up before I make any final decisions.