Cherry Bomb Baby

I live in a pile of bricks with a fire puter-outer, a Halloween enthusiast and a pretend lemur, who sometimes admits to being my second son. I have a kitchen for flowers. I know all the lyrics to the Spiderman theme song and (am forced to) sing it everyday. I cook with color. This was a blog mostly about yarn spinning and natural dyeing. Now, it is fair to say, it lacks direction entirely.

Friday, October 02, 2009

Gifts and The Name

At this stage this doll was nameless. I couldn't even make up pretend names because I knew it was not my job to name this one. So, I fussed with her an awful lot, enjoying certain parts of the doll, and of course, lamenting the parts I felt I screwed up on. But still, I think she had a funky but sweet personality that was right for the girl I was making her for. I spent a fair amount of time wondering about her name while I was sewing the features and hair.




I felt like I made a lot of mistakes on this doll, maybe more than the first one. But still, her hair and her eyes make me pretty happy.


An old fat quarter came in handy to make up a little nightgown. I dragged my heels on sewing doll clothes for a long time-and I have no idea why. I guess it was one of those mental crafting blocks. I felt totally unqualified to sew them. The nightgown was a good ice breaker for doll clothes and I, very simply constructed and easily done. And it didn't matter much if it didn't fit quite perfectly-you can see its quite roomy. In some languages, this italicized "roomy" means "too big". In my world of sewing it means "better than naked." This dolly now has a home and a name: Samantha. Which, as it turns out, was my doll's name as well. Although I had a prenamed American Girl doll, still I look for these little coincidences and like to think of them as stars and planets alligning all for me. I'm sure all two of you agree with me on this.
This is our "fairy home" and sometimes nature table. It was gifted to us by the mom of the 7 year old girl I gave Samantha to. This was a party favor for her previous year's birthday party-yes, a PARTY FAVOR. You read that right, although favor isn't the right word. So, how lucky am I? I've decorated this with various playthings and nature items along with my kids over the last year. Currently, we've done it up Autumn (and Halloween) style. There is a lot of important stuff in there for me right now.
But I think this one is the most important to M, who is obsessed with all things dark and ghoulish, a Ghost Gourd:
We are in agreement that it is a cool gourd and absolutely ghost like. And the felt flower? Yes, it is awesome beyond words and no, I didn't make it. That really deserves its own post and will be blogged about it in Nature Table (and Witch's Circle) Part Deux.


4 Comments:

Blogger Tan Family said...

Oh, I love your blog! I'm going to start following it. Beautiful doll and fairy home! :) --Jennifer syrendell.blogspot.com

9:48 PM  
Blogger Marina said...

Samantha is gorgeous! Am bringing over my dolls as they're being born so that you can sprinkle your magic crafty dust over them to make them as beautiful:)

Love how you decorated that fairy home, as with your real home- it just reeks of style!

Thanks again for the lovely day!

10:09 PM  
Blogger Andrea said...

Thank you Jennifer-the mom who made that fairy home has 2 of your fairy sprite flower/twig holders on her table. We LOVE those! I've loved your yarns from afar for a LONG time.

9:27 PM  
Blogger Andrea said...

Hey Marina,

Thanks, I think Samantha is cute too although its tough to look past all the little mistakes I know are there. I'd love to make some doll heads with you-there is plenty of crafty dust on my floors and in the couch cushions. You know I don't vacuum often so there is plenty to go round!

9:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home