Cherry Bomb Baby

I live in a pile of bricks with a fire puter-outer, a Halloween enthusiast and a pretend lemur, who sometimes admits to being my second son. I have a kitchen for flowers. I know all the lyrics to the Spiderman theme song and (am forced to) sing it everyday. I cook with color. This was a blog mostly about yarn spinning and natural dyeing. Now, it is fair to say, it lacks direction entirely.

Thursday, August 06, 2009

Lest you think I don't know how

I will show that, yes, I do know how to knit. This blog has made me realize that my life is heavy on spinning and fiber prep and really, pretty light on knitting. We went on a brief trip out of town and instead of getting carried away with my spindles I actually accomplished some knitting. Everywhere I went I carried this little weirdly shaped piece of grey fabric along and actually got a chance to knit! It seems like forever since I've knit anything with purpose. I had some false starts on a feather and fan stitch scarf, a lace ribbon scarf and yes, even a clapotis. (Which, by the way, I made some decent progress on until I decided that the yarn and pattern weren't good mates.) So, it felt great to finally be excited about making something and having knitting success!

He hasn't got features yet, just the eyes left to do. And a bit of a club foot, but we won't discuss that, will we? Its a Debi Birkin pattern that I got on etsy. Everything is knit flat with simple increases and decreases and then seaming. I wish that some of it were knit in the round with different techniques that would require less seaming but really, I have no complaints about this pattern or any of hers so far. They are simple and cute and that is that. I knit this with Paton's merino yarn that I got from Joanne's with my 40% off coupons! It is of course, stuffed with more wool. This Paton's merino is a departure for me. I got into spinning so that I could have more control over the yarn I use and where it comes from. I'm guessing, based on price and availability, that this yarn is grown in New Zealand or Australia, and carded, dyed and spun in China and then sold here. Not exactly a slow fiber. This is to say nothing about the treatment of the animals themselves. I am going to bite the bullet and have a lot of my stashed fleeces spun into yarn for me so I can keep working on these patterns with my own humane grown millspun yarns. But until then, I'm compromising and using the Paton's.

And now, a dyeing interruption: I finally rinsed the yarn and rovings that were overdyed with the last madder bath I did. I am much pleased with the results. Oh, the drama of reds! I love a good semi solid dye job, with the interest of variegated yarn and more wearability-in my mind.

And back to knitting. I'm happy about this one. Another Debi Birkin pattern. Be prepared to see a set of these appear during the holiday season. Unless I get sick of them, but its not too likely at this point. I knit this while traveling in Minneapolis and finished it back in Berkeley. I didn't have any white yarn at the points where i was supposed to make the socks and cuff on the dress, I also omitted the sailor bib that is a part of the pattern-although I made it. I accidentally sewed the head on before the bib and then (perhaps conveniently) decided I liked it better without!



Since when could big feet be so elegant?

Apparently, my theme is bunnies. I knit this little guy from and beautiful book: Knitted Animals. It didn't turn out like the picture I was working from but its SOFT (alpaca) and just the right size for a now 3 year old (!) hand to smoosh. It was love at first sight. I think the moment that little J opened his bunny present was when I got inspired to keep going with the knitted animals. Thanks for helping me get my knitting mojo back and Happy Birthday.





0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home