Cherry Bomb Baby

I live in a pile of bricks with a fire puter-outer, a Halloween enthusiast and a pretend lemur, who sometimes admits to being my second son. I have a kitchen for flowers. I know all the lyrics to the Spiderman theme song and (am forced to) sing it everyday. I cook with color. This was a blog mostly about yarn spinning and natural dyeing. Now, it is fair to say, it lacks direction entirely.

Sunday, January 06, 2008

Start to Finish

Well, almost. Here is Fletcher, who I mentioned yesterday. Actually, this is half Fletcher and half suri alpaca from a rescue flock. I spun it pretty low twist with a long draw, mildly thick and thin.

I spun it around a core thread of blue and white cotton. Very pretty and subtle and wearable.


Keeping the cotton thread tense and letting the white yarn wrap itself around. Most important to keep an old fly swatter in the back ground (kid's toy-never killed a fly) and a dorky Hello Kitty slipper nearby.


The yarn! I had to restrain myself on color combos as I was thinking of gifting this to someone for the holidays but I didn't finish it in time. The blue background is a precious antique baby quilt that is a family heirloom (as far as I'm concerned) on my partner's dad's side. Its baby blue on one side and pink on the other, hand quilted and has a soft, brushed texture.

Perhaps I should call this blog, Ribbed Scarf Central, since that is all I seem to be able to knit. To be fair, I've knit some other things and haven't posted about them. Yet. But textured yarns just seem to want to be simple accessories in plain stitch patterns. So there. This is going to end up in Germany I think, as a gift to my favorite mama of three. Having three kids-I can't imagine. This is a very young, beautiful and kind mama and I just want to wrap her up in a soft wooly blanket and snuggle her in with a cup of hot tea. But I can't so, I hope she'll take a weird scarf instead.



Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home